Friday, July 30, 2004

Dublin

Yes, indeed, my mom had her nervous breakdown driving, and I did all the driving after that. But she was the sole driver for the first two days, and she got us all the way from the airport in Dublin to the bustling city center in Cork-- my dad said she should be commended for that. They just had their 30th anniversary here btw. 30 yrs of wedded bliss--sheila and stan-yay.

Dublin is a grand 'ol town. It has modern city-type problems these days. The taxi driver was telling us about the negro problem. The Nigerian refugees flood here to gain citizenship and they've brought an industry of crack cocaine with them ,too, evidently. We drove through "little africa" to get to our hotel, oh those naughty negro junkies. The two best hotels we've stayed at have been: the Aran View Hotel in Doolin, and the one now in Dublin, "Harrington Hall" in case anyone is taking notes on a swank place to stay in Ireland. They are both old-fashioned and charming.

5 comments:

kathleen said...

Andrew,

Our landlady in Scariff, Geraldine Maloney, warned Eddie and me, "Don't go to Dooooblin; they've got drooogs there."

She also warned that the people from "Cark" (Cork) are "a bit tetched." She made the little crazy circle finger sign by her temple to be sure we got the message.

Say No to Drooogs!

k

Angela Pratt said...

Hey, Andrew,

How's your iPod working as a picture-storing device? I suppose you can't view any of your pix until you reach a computer with a hard drive you can access, but still, pretty space-age stuff!

BTW, could you guys hear Pat's audio message?!!!

Sheila said...

I'm home now. I miss Ireland. The people are wonderful. When we flew back into Boston the people stopped being courteous. We really are ugly Americans. Where have our manners gone? In Ireland people actually want to help you and talk to you. I think we need a personality make-over.
Know what I miss most about Ireland now? Andrew. Yup.

Sheila said...

I thought a pestle was the thing you grind into a mortar to make apothecaries.
In Hawaii I learned to eat papayas chilled with a fresh lime squeezed on top. Yum

Sheila said...

I thought a pestle was the thing you grind into a mortar to make apothecaries.
In Hawaii I learned to eat papayas chilled with a fresh lime squeezed on top. Yum

Post a Comment

Post a Comment