Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Ohmygod!

Hey, We've developed a bit of a code between the three of us.  Andrew's driving now since my nervous breakdown.  When he's too close to the stone wall on my left I quietly say, "curb".  This tells him in a calm way that we are approaching death.  I say it many times a day.  I am deeply grateful that Andrew is willing to drive.  He's a very good driver but I still fear for our lives.  Anxiety is a terrible travelling companion.
This morning I made friends with two dogs and a small herd of cows.  I mooed to them until Andrew pointed out that the man from our hotel was watching me.  I was happy anyway.  More later re: our secret code.  Guess what V.C. means?  And it's not Viet Cong...

1 comment:

Angela Pratt said...

Just keep this little story in mind...

"In 1988, near Enniskillen in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, movie star MATTHEW BRODERICK was driving a rented BMW and inexplicably crossed the center lane, crashing head-on into a Volvo carrying local woman Anna Gallagher and her mother, Margaret Dougherty. Both women were killed. Broderick's passenger, actress Jennifer Grey, escaped with minor injuries, and Broderick ended up in an Irish hospital with a concussion, broken leg and collapsed lung. He was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, but ended up being convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving. He paid a fine of $175. At the time the women's family called the conviction and fine a "travesty of justice," but in 2002 Broderick and the family tried to patch things up."

After reading this, you're probably thinking, "center lane? WHAT center lane?!!!"

Buckle up and be careful! And remember, cows have the right of way in Ireland. Especially mad cows.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment