Friday, August 27, 2004

I'm in Belmullet now

Hello everybody. Thanks for your continued interest in my trip-blogging. I'll try to keep up. We arrived in Belmullet yesterday. Belmullet is a small town in County Mayo, on the Northwest coast of Ireland. The terrain is boggy. Yesterday we finally got some real "Irish" weather. It was like mist slicing you in the face. My new souvenir (sp?) "Ireland" umbrella was blown inside out so many times that it broke in three places. But that's ok. It's really not umbrella country here anyway, but I'm a wuss from Calfornia.

When people that we met in Galway asked us where we were going next and we said "Belmullet", they said "Where?"... I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'm lucky there is one internet cafe here. It's dial-up though, and the connection is extremely slow. I just used the computer next to me at the same time that I was using this one, so that I could have two windows open at once (to concurrently check my email and blog).

The class is split between a couple different B&Bs, just like we were in Galway. The proprietors/owners of this B&B are extremely nice. The accomodation is the most personable experience I've had on the trip thus far. There's not too terribly much to do in this town, but the proprietors (Thomas and Veronica--and three of their five kids who were in attendance [Michael 10, Kathleen 12, and Chrissy 8], stayed up with all of us in their living room until quite late playing games with us. I know everybody's name for chrissakes.

They had a turf fire going and were stocked with board games and chess sets. They wound up reading the questions on the trivial pursuit cards to everybody, seeing who could answer the questions. My fellow American students and I were put to shame by the owner's children, who showed their superior knowledge about everything... including American history, proving that the American educational system (including college) really is just a farce. Or maybe we're all just retards (because I don't mean to deflect my own blame.) They were nice, sweet kids, as well as smart.

Usually I only get to meet and talk with natives when I separate from the UC group and go off by myself. I try to do this as often as possible. In my opinion, it's a little pointless to travel half-way around the world just to talk to a bunch of UC students. I've made friends with a few of them though, so I think it's all about balance.

You can see Achill Island from here. That's quite large. Mom, we definetely should have seen the Cliffs of Moher. They were very beautiful and high, we went there the other day. I have to go now. internet cafe closes at 6.

1 comment:

Angela Pratt said...

Belmullet, huh? Have you asked them if their town is birthplace of the mullet hairstyle? ;-)

Now didn't I tell you guys to all go see the Cliffs of Moher? YES! See what happens when nobody lets me boss them around?

As for that "mist slicing you in the face"... that's the kind of weather I encountered on my Ireland trip. Know what I wore to keep warm and dry? A jean jacket. I've learned so much about breathable waterproof outerwear options since then.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment