Saturday, August 07, 2004

Sick in Belfast

Yes, I've decided to visit the old enemy territory this weekend. I'm in Belfast (just for the weekend), on my own, ...the school thing doesn't go to Belfast, so I grabbed the chance on the weekend) I'm also sick, but the trip won't wait on a cold, so I'm in Belfast anyway, regardles of my condition. I had a sore throat, and now I have a stuffy nose and stuff, sneeze, cough, etc... so I really think I should go to bed, but the bed I have in this hostel (my first time staying in a hostel) is hot, humid and miserable. its so hot right now I can barely type or think. this hostel is pretty ghetto. look up the "Lonely Planet" review on this place. It's called the "Linen House Hostel" in Belfast, Northern Ireland (on Kent St.). I believe they refer to this place as "squirlly" or "scruffy" or something like that. It's only perk is its central location. Anyways, I'm too tired and sick to go out and do anything, but maybe I will anyway because it's too hot in the room (in which I have a lower bunk, out of ten beds total in the room, ) and some people are already asleep (including the guy above me), so that means I can't fidget through my things and make noise to set up my sleep sheet. A sleep-sheet is so I don't get cooties from the hostel's sheets. It's like my own inner-protective lining-sheet.

So I guess I will just risk bed-lice tonight and sleep in all my clothes. I can't really wake up every body by turning on the lights and being the anal-retentive traveller, saying, "ok guys, bear with me while I disinfect everything,"...they wouldn't understand that anyway, they're all german--as in, they speak only German. Lot's of German backpackers in my room. You would be surprised how many Italian and Spanish tourists come to Ireland too. Especially in Dublin, walking down the street, you'll hear more Italian and Spanish-(from Spain) than you will English. I don't know why that is.

Today I took a day-long bus tour across the Northern coast of Ireland (in Northern Ireland) to look at various geological formations. "Giant's Causeway" is an extremely popular landmark, I suggest googling it to check out a picture of it. At one stop along the coast somewhere north of Belfast to cross some touristy, indiana jones-esque rope bridge 70 feet above death, my tour bus abandoned me. I missed it, and they left without me. You see, I had to pee and then buy a bottle of water after I crossed the bridge, and I guess that was just too much waiting for them.

On a clear day you can see the Scottish coast from there.

ANyways, ...So I couldv'e been stranded, but it was ok, because there was another tour bus there filled with people from Spain. The driver said I could get in and he would drive me to where my tour bus was going (which was on his way) and drop me off, and so I got on with the Spanish people. When he dropped me off, the Spanish people waved bye to me and smiled; they were nice.

So I met up with my people then. The bus driver knew my name after that. I'm special, because the bus driver knew my name. He even drove me directly to the front door of my hostel in Belfast with his big bus, after he dropped everyone off at the train station. Isn't that nice? He didn't have to do that. Now believe it or not, people here are very nice and polite, despite their evil English protestant tendancies. Perhaps they are so nice due to the city's history of bombing and hatred and death , etc...ya know, trying to repair their tainted reputation with a smile and a friendly "hello". They have a tour where they take you to all the places that still have political tension (Belfast's "west side" where the protestants and catholics are still segregated and foaming with hatred supposedly). I think I will go on that tour. there is supposed to be murals and fences and ...stuff, ...I don't know, I'll let you know.
what else was I going to say? ... yeah, I really realized I crossed into the UK when everyone was smoking in the restaurant that I had dinner in (here in Belfast). and there is no "smoking or non?" option. HA, no, there is just an ashtray and matches on every single table. the food was really good though, but I don't think it helped my stuffy nose/sinus problem with the smoke. we americans really are babies about this whole smoking thing for some reason, myself included. even though I don't like smoke either, I am starting to have some sympathy for smoker's rights. our teacher told the class (regarding the people in ireland, [the republic of ireland]) "look, don't bug them about the smoking thing. trust me, they're going to smoke anyway. they're not happy about the restaurant/pub ban; it's fairly recent [two months ago], so just let them do their thing, and don't bitch at them or try to give them a health lecture. they know, they don't care, they don't want to hear it, and they're going to do it anyway". , ...It's true that it seems that damn near every european smokes. who is anyone to begrudge them a cigarette? it's their culture. (I still think at the very least though, the option of a non-smoking section would be nice), whatever,...Belfast is interesting. the sterling (£) pound is extremely expenisve, way more than the euro even. I haven't figured out yet how to make the symbol for the euro on these keyboards. The keyboards are different here. We'll see what happens tomorrow, then I go back to Dublin, back to my dorm room/suite at Trinity College, which seems like the Ritz right now in comparison...

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Belfast?!! Jesusmaryandjoseph! And you're sick to boot. You get back to Ireland right now. I'm not kidding! They kill people over there. Ohmygod, Andrew, I'm coming back over there, I swear. Don't give me a heart attack. Belfast, for christsake! Thank god for valium. If anyone asks you, you're Swiss. Okay? Okay! Ohmygod, please get back to Dublin. I'm going to puke. Help me. Write me the minute you're out of there. I'm not kidding. Love, Mom

Andrew said...

don;t worry! belfast is safe now. they;re nt violent anymore, there haven;t been bombings in a few years now, and most people are peaceable with eachother , everything is fine fine fine...kind of a nice little modern city actually... do you knoww what I;m doing right now?? I;m writing this message on the sidewalk in Belfast at 1am!, in a phone booth!! but its a phone booth with a monitor, keyboard, computer in it, anda phone!,can you believe it? so yu can check websites, email, and make phone calls all in ths booth that I am standding in right now at one in the morning, is not technology so fucking amazing? will wonders ever cease? right here in a phone booth for anyone to use any time they need (pretty high speed connection too) only getting used to the metal keyboard is funny...this is amazing to me, we should do this...(and the coin slot that you deposit coins to keep your time accepts euros or pounds (or credit cards too, but I;m using all my coins), but anyways, I am sick, might even have a fever, so i will go back to the hostel now and try to sleep. the fellow hostelers are not bad peopl either I think. One of them tried to communicate with me : he made the sign of a drinking cup with his hand, held it to his mouth and ennunciated the word "drinking" to me in english, with a smile and a red face. ...

I dunno, some fellow backpacker universal vein of bonding or somethig...people in ireland drink a lot.... anyways, I;m not worried about mystuff gettingg stolen, I;m sleeping with everythig anyway, let you knw how tomorrow goes love,
andrew

Angela Pratt said...

Get thee to bed!

The computer/phone booth thingy sounds really cool!!!

Anonymous said...

Andrew: I think it's great you are having an adventure in Belfast, staying is a scruffy hostile, recouping after being left behind by your tour bus, and then being delivered to your hostile's front door. Like the idea of the multitasking phonebooth. Are there lots of people or a few people or no people out at one a.m. on the streets of Belfast? Now is the time to explore and have adventures, the lice, if you get them, will eventually leave you, but the memories never will...Poopedoop

Post a Comment

Post a Comment