Sunday, August 22, 2004

worshipping the ground on which my sainted parents walk

Wow, Elliot's starting middle school? I'll say a Hail Mary for him. Angela, did you have as bad a time in middle school as Bridget and I did? Just give Elliot a switchblade and tell him to go for the gut if anyone gives him trouble. I think he's still too young to go to adult prison (though you never know these days, they keep bringing the age down). I'm sure everything will be ok though.

I love my parents dearly and am extremely grateful for them. They are exceedingly generous; this is true, and my appreciation is endless. That, however, is not a requisite for my love of them. They are the kindest, quirkiest and coolest set of parents I know, and I wouldn't have wished for anyone else to raise me. I am indeed the luckiest boy in the world. I try not to be such a spoiled prince, although perhaps I am just a bit of one sometimes.

Especially since I've left home to touch the world with my bare hands, I've realized truly how lucky I am. Meeting people here and there, going to school, travelling (doing things like this, for example), has really broadened my perception of where I fit into the world, relatively speaking. And yet the fact that I am even able to do this, I realize, marks me as one of the lucky few that have the opportunity to do this in the first place...

My parents are the hard-workingest people and they are better than me. If ever I sound like a brat or a Little Lord Fauntleroy, I don't mean to be. I certainly never mean to be flippant. Regarding the "eating until I die" comment, perhaps my concern for the "starving Africans" seemed flippant. The phrase, "starving Africans" is offensive in any context because it has become such a stock-cliche that it is almost humourous in a perverse way. I probably shouldn't use that phrase. I do genuinely ache for that part of the world, though (like all of us), I could do more. I don't think that neccessarily makes me a bad person, though goodness knows there are better people out there.

Love to all (Especially my parents who birthed me and made me what I am--Thank you.)
Andrew

1 comment:

Angela Pratt said...

Hi Andrew,

First, let me say... I hope I didn't make you feel bad about your lot in life (UCLA, Bellagio, Spago, etc.). The whole family worships and adores you and-all-we-ask-is-that-you-become-famous-and-let-us-bask-in-your-fame-a-little-bit. I was just struck on this particular day by your dad toiling under the merciless Sacramento sun while you enjoy the beauty of temperate Ireland... while at the same time you are appreciating the struggles of our ancestors through your studies. In the end, it seems like the suffering of our grandparents and great-grandparents (coming to America) and on and on paved the way for our relatively easy American lives. Let's just hope Dubya doesn't go and undo all their hard work and suffering...

On middle school: I went to a 5th-8th middle school in Pullman, Washington and it was fabulous. Had great teachers and several boyfriends and was afforded the opportunity to participate in "makeout parties". What more could one ask for?

On to bigger things, though... There's news back home. Have you heard yet of: Erin's pregnancy and Danny's fatherhood (however recent or impending no one knows)? DANG!

Post a Comment

Post a Comment